This delicious recipe from our Cast Iron Chef Cooking Competition may be the easiest Dutch oven dessert you’ve ever tried, and if you are a chocoholic, this one will be your hands-down favorite of the three recipes our men invented during the competition. Salted caramel brownies covered with a layer of toffee, melted chocolate, and toasted marshmallows. Yum!
For our contest, we allowed the men to consult any other resources they needed for advice about creating a successful recipe, thinking that they would consult wives, mothers, and Grandma Joyce. As it happened, Google was the preferred mentor. This team started with a few basics ingredients:
Their first selection was a salted caramel brownie mix. Both Duncan Hines and Betty Crocker make a version. You’ll also need some Heath English Toffee bits, some chocolate chips, miniature marshmallows, and a white chocolate cooking bar.
Mix the brownie mix base according to package directions and spread in the bottom of a well-greased Dutch oven. (Line the oven with aluminum foil, if your prefer, for easy cleanup).
Carefully squeeze the salted caramel mix that is included with the packaged brownie mix over the brownie layer and then spread as needed so it covers the entire brownie base.
Add a generous sprinkle of English Toffee Bits over the top of the caramel layer.
Now to add chocolate to your chocolate. Sprinkle on enough chocolate chips to cover the layer of toffee bits. A few chunks of white chocolate won’t hurt either. Cover the entire pan with a layer of miniature marshmallows, then cover and bake.
A final layer of aluminum foil over the top of the marshmallows helped prevent over-browning.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. Serve hot!
- 1 salted caramel brownie mix
- ¼ cup water
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ⅔ cup English Toffee Bits
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows.
- Mix brownie mix according to package directions.
- Line a Dutch oven with aluminum foil and grease lightly.
- Spread brownie mix into the bottom of the dutch oven
- Spread packaged caramel carefully over brownie base. Spread lightly so caramel covers the entire base.
- Sprinkle toffee bits over the top of the caramel layer
- Sprinkle on milk chocolate chips so that they generously cover the surface of the brownie layer.
- Top with a layer of miniature marshmallows. Cover top of pan with foil to prevent marshmallows from over-browning.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted 2 inches from the edge of the brownie comes out almost clean.