Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens
These tasty little toasted baguette sandwiches include three layers, and while they look complicated, they are simple to prepare and oh so delicious! All of the toasted bread and toppings can be made ahead, so assembly on the day of your event takes just minutes.
1. Cut 2 loaves of baguette-type bread into 1/2 inch slices. You can make your own baguettes using the “Crusty French Bread” recipe here.
2. Lightly brush each slice with olive oil, place on cookie sheet, and toast at 425 for about 5 min, turning once.
3. Cover and store at room temperature for up to 24 hours.
1 can pitted ripe olives, chopped fine
4 tsp. balsamic or red wine vinegar
2 tsp. olive oil
2 or 3 cloves garlic (to taste)
Place all ingredients in blender or chopper and blend to a nearly smooth paste. Chill for up to 3 days or until ready to assemble bruschettas.
2 cups chopped tomatoes
2/3 cup thinly sliced green onion
2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. fresh snipped basil or oregano (or 2 tsp. dried basil or oregano leaves)
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
This layer can also be chilled for up to 3 days.
1 cup grated or shredded Parmesan or other white cheese
1. Spread prepared bruschetta toasts with a thin layer of the olive mixture.
2. Top each with a 2 Tbsp. of the tomato mixture.
3. Sprinkle cheese on top.
4. Bake at 425 until cheese melts and toppings are heated through (abt 3 min)
5. Serve immediately.