This recipe is great because it contains mostly ingredients you’ll have laying around already (aka it’s cheap!) and the BEST part is that you can customize it to your taste preferences. I made mine with cinnamon and raisins. Besides, what better way to welcome fall than by filling your home with the heavenly smell of brown sugar and cinnamon?
Recipe altered from Delectably Mine.
Mix the oats, salt, and oil together in a large bowl. (I started in a normal bowl then switched to my Kitchen Aid)
Cook the brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and honey together in a pot on the stove until liquid (approximately 4 minutes) Then stir it into the dry mixture. Add 1/4 cup of water if needed.
Line a 18 x 13 pan with foil.
Spread the mixture onto the foil lined pan.
Cook the mixture in the oven for 35 minutes on 300 degrees Fahrenheit or until golden brown.
Cut the bars into your desired size within the first 15 minutes after removing them from the oven and serve!
- 7 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups raisins, nuts or chocolate chips
- ½ cup honey
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup of water
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine oats, oil and salt into a mixing bowl (I recommend a Kitchen Aid or using a hand mixer if possible). Mix until oats are evenly coated.
- Add in extras (raisins, nuts, etc.) if adding in nuts I recommend chopping them in a food processor first!
- In a pot on the stove mix the honey, brown sugar, vanilla extract and cinnamon and stir for approximately 3 minutes.
- Add the stove mixture to the oat mixture and mix thoroughly until the oats are thoroughly covered. Add ¼ cup of water if the mixture seems too dry.
- Line an 18 x 13 inch cookie sheet with foil and evenly spread the oats onto the pan.
- Place the oats in the oven at 300 degrees for approximately 35 minutes or until they turn a golden color.
- Once out of the oven, spray a spatula with cooking spray and cut the bars into your desired size. Be sure to cut them within the first 15 minutes before they cool or they will be too hard to cut easily.
- Once cut leave them on the pan to cool.
- Remove the bars and eat however you please!
The bars can be stored for up to 2 weeks! I divided mine up into snack bags so they could be easily thrown into a lunch bag.