As a kid I always looked forward to the after school snack. We didn’t hvae any of the store bought, pre-packaged treats that are filling up my pantry today though. If there was a lucky day that mom had made something, you had better be the first pack of kids through the door or you wouldn’t get any.
As I got older I found that the best way to get a cookie was to make a cookie. And so my passion for cookie dough began. Maybe because I liked making a surprise for my dad to have after work I actually cooked some of them, but lets just confess the truth here: a double batch was not because I was part of a big family and had lots of friends over. It was so I could eat one batch worth of cookie dough by myself and then still have enough dough for baked cookies to share.
Dad always seemed to ask for peanut butter cookies, but here is my favorite peanut butter fix. No baking needed.
- 1 cup salted butter, barely melted in a large microwaveable bowl
- 11/2 cup peanut butter - crunch or smooth will work for this recipe
- 1 teapoon vanilla
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 large Chocolate bar or chocolate chips, melted
- In a large microwaveable bowl soften salted butter just until barely liquid, not hot.
- Stir in peanut butter and vanilla.
- Stir in Powdered sugar, mixing until smooth.
- Divide candy into equal pieces and roll into balls. Place balls into paper dessert cups or just on a cookie sheet. Press slightly flat to have a surface for the chocolate.
- Let candy cool completely. You can speed this up by putting candy in freezer for 5 minutes.
- Melt chocolate and spoon a little over the top fo the candy.
Here is a long time family recipe for Peanut Butter Cups that are WAAAAAY better than those that come in a wrapper from the store. Its a crowd pleaser any time and you can always count on lots of eager helpers with this simple treat.