Sausage Wonton Stars Recipe:
The Sausage Wonton Stars recipe is a family favorite, and these are usually one of the first treats to “sell out” at a catered event. Baked wontons form this delightful, crunchy shell filled with a savory sausage and sweet pepper filling. Make the wonton shells a day ahead if desired. Fill and warm them just before serving.
1 (12-oz) pkg won ton wrappers
1 lb bulk pork sausage
2 cups (8-ounces) shredded cheese (Colby or other)
1/2 medium green pepper, chopped fine
1/2 medium red (sweet) pepper, chopped fine
2 bunches green onions, chopped
1/2 cup ranch dressing
1. Lightly press wonton wrappers onto the bottom and up the sides of greased miniature muffin cups. Bake at 350 for 5 min or until edges are brown.
2. In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
3. Stir in the cheese, peppers, onions, and salad dressing.
4. Bake for 6-7 min or until heated through. Serve warm.
Yield: abt 4 dozen.
Posh Piggies Recipe:
Posh Piggies are savory chunks of sausage topped with a round of puff pastry.
1. Cut 1 lb sausage links into 36 half-inch slices.
2. Brush a sheet of puff pastry with a beaten egg and cut 36 circles of pastry.
3. Top each sausage round with a pastry circle and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
4. Skewer each stack with a toothpick and place on a baking sheet.
5. Bake at 400 until pastry is golden (abt 15 min)
6. Serve with apricot-mustard sauce:
6 Tbsp. mustard
2 Tbsp. mayo
1/4 cup apricot jam
Stir together until well-blended.
To serve, find a pretty tray and arrange the sausage wonton stars on half of the plate. Spear each of the posh piggies with a decorative toothpick and arrange them on the other half of the tray. We serve a side of mustard sauce in small plastic serving cups.