A shortbread cookie is usually mostly butter and flour with only a little sugar. Our version includes milk chocolate chips (NOT semi-sweet) a dab of vanilla and lots and lots of powdered sugar!
This recipe can be made very quickly and I can usually get all my cookies on just one pan, making it a fast batch to cook too.
- 1 cup salted butter, softened to room temperature
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips (We prefer milk chocolate, not semi-sweet.)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla (optional)
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cream soft (but not melted) butter until fluffy.
- Gradually add flour until just combined.
- Stir in chips.
- Dough will just barely stick together when shaped in your hands.
- Roll rounded teaspoons into 1-inch balls. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. You can put them unusually close together. They do not spread or change shape very much when baking. You should be able to get all cookies on the same cookie sheet.
- Bake 13-15 minutes. Cookies will not brown. This keeps them super soft.
- Let cool slightly on the pan before removing to a cooling rack.
- Dust with a generous layer of powdered sugar.