Most of our posts here are not in the cook book, but this is one of those recipes shared both places. Enjoy!
Order the book here: !(http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=book+joyce+whiting+finger+foods)
My husband swears his mother never made cookies for the family cookie jar. Everything she made was promptly packaged up and sent to another family as a care package or for a meeting of some sort that he didn’t get to go to.
She would always cut the bar cookies 1/4 inch around the edges in order to eliminate the edges on the cookies and leave the crusty parts behind. As a result of her practice of discarding the edges, he prefers the crusty edges to this day. I always prefer the cookie dough myself, so he is welcome to the edges. This particular recipe though, he has to share. The small edge left behind when I scoop out all the “presentable cookies” is chewy and very desirable as a long sticky cookie stick.
If you are out to WOW a crowd with an easy giant pan of cookies this recipe will never let you down.
How to make the yummy bars fudge layer
- 1½ tsp soda
- 1½ cup room temperature unsalted butter (or margarine)
- 11/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups flour
- ¾ tsp salt (if using salted butter, do dot add this also!)
- 3 cups oatmeal
- 1 bag of chocolate chips, divided
- 1½ tablespoon shortening, or butter,or coconut oil
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- Mix butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add flour and baking soda and mix until crumbly.
- Add Oatmeal.
- Set aside 1 ½ cups of the oatmeal mixture to put on the top of the bars half way through cooking. Pat remainder into large cookie sheet pan. Bake at 350 for 10 min.
- While they bake prepare chocolate layer:
- Chocolate layer: combine shortening, one half bag (12 oz) of chocolate chips, and 1 can sweetened condensed milk in a heat safe microwaveable bowl. heat for one minute or until just melted and combined.
- When cookies have baked for the first ten minutes, open oven, and remove pan briefly (you're going to put it right back in in just a minute). Drizzle chocolate mixture over crust, gently spread over the whole top, then sprinkle remaining oatmeal crumb mixture over the top. Finally, sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips (about 1 cup).
- Bake another 15 min. or until top is golden brown. Cut into squares to serve.